15, 1924, by Executive Order, Fort Pulaski became a National
Monument. In 1933, the National Park Service accepted transfer of
the site from the War Department.
The defining events of Fort Pulaski occurred during the American
Civil War. In April of 1862, Union troops directed rifled cannon
fire at the fort breaching the southeast angle. The quick success of
this experimental cannon surprised military strategists. The
accuracy and range of the rifled cannon rendered brick
fortifications obsolete. Immediately after capturing the fort, Union
Major General David Hunter, an ardent abolitionist, ordered the
release of area slaves. Many were recruited into the Union army
comprising the First South Carolina Colored Regiment.
The park includes 5,623 acres of scenic marsh and uplands that
support a variety of animal life characteristic of southern barrier
islands. White-tailed deer, alligators, and raccoons as well as
resident and migratory birds grace the landscape. Spanish moss
drapes from yaupon holly bushes and vegetation includes cabbage
palms, various wetland grasses, and a variety of temperate hardwood
and pine trees.
TELEPHONE: (912) 786-5787
Back to Site Map